Shopee identifies four major e-commerce trends in 2020. The retail landscape in the Philippines has been transformed due to increased social distancing efforts, such as the implementation of the Enhanced Community Quarantine as the nation combats the spread of Covid-19. As a result, brands and sellers are venturing online in search of growth, while consumers turn to e-commerce to meet their shopping needs.
“The year 2020 has changed the way we live, work, and shop. Brands and sellers across the region are stepping up their digitization efforts, with e-commerce becoming a key channel for them to sustain and grow their businesses. At the same time, consumers are increasingly going online to fulfill their everyday needs, in areas ranging from groceries to home appliances. As e-commerce takes on greater importance in people’s lives, Shopee will continue to make shopping even more social, engaging, and easy for everyone.” Ruoshan Tao, Head of Marketing at Shopee Philippines said.
In the Philippines, Shopee has identified 4 key trends for e-commerce in recent months:
1. Brands and sellers are growing their e-commerce presence
Brands and sellers are venturing online to boost their online presence while exploring new strategies to reach and engage consumers.
- Robust growth for Filipino sellers: As people shop for their home and essential needs online, brands, and sellers in the Gaming and Pet Care categories are seeing strong growth. In addition, Brands and sellers offering pet essentials and home appliances & accessories saw 40 times and 15 times more orders respectively than the same period last year.
- Reaching customers with live streaming: Brands and sellers are actively exploring new ways to reach consumers. Shopee has observed that the number of Shopee Live streams from brands and sellers increased by 40 times. Homegrown SMEs have successfully boosted online visibility with Shopee Live. For example, Sirods Stuffed Toys has recorded a robust number of views for its streams by showcasing popular toys and collectibles to users in real-time, enabling it to engage customers more effectively.
2. Shoppers turn to e-commerce for everyday needs
At the same time, Filipinos are relying on e-commerce to meet their everyday needs as people live, work, and play from home.
- Consumers search and shop online for a wider variety of needs: Shopee has observed an increase in search and shopping activity in the
past 3 months, especially for health and fashion products. This reflects an
increasing reliance on e-commerce, which provides Filipinos with one-stop
access to essentials, health products, and more.
- Top searched keywords: Face masks, Dresses, Power banks, Undergarments
- Top products: Mosquito incense, Vitamins, and supplements, cell phone cases
3. Shopping preferences evolve as consumers seek convenience on e-commerce
Shopping preferences are also changing in the Philippines as consumers look for convenience in e-commerce during this period.
- Increased shopping activity on weekdays: Online shopping activity has peaked on Tuesdays in recent months, showcasing the preference among Filipinos to shop earlier in the week. Shopping activity is also the highest at 12PM and 1PM as Filipinos shop more often during lunchtime.
- Preference for cashless payments: Adoption of cashless payments is growing as consumers value speed and reduce physical interactions. Shopee has observed that users are increasingly using cashless options such as ShopeePay to pay for purchases in recent months.
4. Increased social interaction and engagement among online shoppers
E-commerce has now evolved into something more than just a way to shop – it’s also become a place where people come together to interact, read content, and connect with others. Shopee has seen greater use of its in-app engagement features in the past three months as Filipinos seek to stay connected online:
- Shopee Live Chat: Shopee has seen an increase in social interactions on its platform. Over 1 million messages were sent daily on average as brands, sellers, and consumers interact with each other across the shopping journey.
- In-app games: Shopee recorded 200 million plays for its in-app games over the past three months. This is driven by users logging in daily to earn rewards and try out new in-app games such as Shopee Farm and Shopee Throw.
Tao closed, “We want to make online shopping safe and convenient while staying true to our vision of delivering a social and engaging experience to our users. At the same time, we will continue to help both our sellers and buyers by providing them a seamless online shopping experience, especially during this COVID-19 crisis. Download Shopee for free through the App Store or Google Play.